There has been a wooden footbridge here since 1457. From the 16th to 19th century, the tower and the covered battlement walk over the Pegnitz housed the hangman, hence the name. After the flood of 1595, three arches of the wall bridging the southern arm of the Pegnitz were torn down and replaced by the wooden, tile-roofed Henkersteg (reconstructed, 1954).
The executioner was obliged to live within the city "in seclusion", since his job was regarded as "dishonorable". Until the Age of Enlightenment, people avoided any kind of physical contact with the hangman for fear of "contamination" and, consequently, exclusion from Christian fellowship.
Looking upward along the river: the Karlsbrücke (Baroque, 1728) and the fish boxes of two former fisher houses.