Built 1491 by Hans Beheim, the structure was one of the seven granaries (city coat of arms on the upper corner) built by the town council during the 15th century. 76 dormer windows in the roof provided ventilation for the storage lofts. The name derives from the use of the building, from 1562 on, as city Tallow Office. The municipal monopoly required butchers to turn over all inedible animal fat (=Unschlitt), which was rendered down and resold. Until the 19th century, tallow served as a raw material for the manufacture of candles, soap, wagon grease and shoe polish. Today the building houses civic offices and the city pawnhouse. On the west side, a wall fountain with a bronze mask as spout (so-called "Hiserlein"; 14th century original in the Germanisches Nationalmuseum).