According to tradition, the infant crown prince Wenzel "sullied" the water with which he was to be baptized. While fresh water was hastily being warmed there, the old wooden parsonage accidentally burned down. Wenzel’s father, Emperor Karl IV, thereupon financed the construction of a new stone building.
The Pfarrhof was where the numerous clergy of St. Sebald’s resided. In weekly rotation, one of them was on call in the "Wöchnerstube" around the clock, to provide last rites for the dying. The "chapter house" served as dining and assembly room. The "Chörlein" (oriel) which projects from the east facade is the apse of the parsonage chapel (copy, 1902; original in the Germanisches Nationalmuseum).
Today the historic parsonage, which survived World War II almost unscathed, serves as the residence of St. Sebald’s Protestant clergymen and clergywomen and their families.