The Dürerhaus was built ca 1420 in a hybrid style typical of Nürnberg (sandstone socle; half-timbered upper storeys). In 1502, the astronomer Bernhard Walther, then-owner of the property, had the dormered roof raised on one side by one storey.
Here Albrecht Dürer lived and worked from 1509 until 1528. For many years after the artistís death, where he had lived was of little interest. As a cult of veneration grew up, his home gained in importance as a commemorative site and was bought as such by the city in 1826. Since the establishment of the Albrecht-Dürer-Haus-Stiftung (foundation) in 1871, the building has served as a museum. In 1998, it was reopened with a new presentation focusing on the life and work of Albrecht Dürer. A multivision film and a "living workshop" introduce his work. Wife Agnes guides through the house, telling visitors about life in a Renaissance artistís household.