St. Martha’s church was endowed (in conjunction with a pilgrim hospital) by Conrad Waldstromer and his wife Agnes Pfinzing in 1356/1363 and dedicated in 1385. Closed for ca 50 years following the Reformation (1526), it was later used (1578–1620) as a theater and for rehearsals and performances of the Mastersingers of Nürnberg. After 1627, the church was again a house of worship.
Since 1800, St. Martha’s has been the church of the Evangelical Reformed community. After 1829, the sanctuary was remodeled in the spirit of Calvinism (removal of altars and images; high altar now in St. Lorenz).
The medieval stained glass windows (1395–1410) are of special note, as are the Baroque panels bearing the names of church wardens.
Damaged by bombs in 1945; restored in 1946.